Social work is a tertiary-qualified profession recognised nationally and internationally. Social workers at With Grace Therapy are Accredited with the Australian Association of Social Workers (the AASW).
Who are Social Workers?
Social workers are committed to maximising the wellbeing of individuals and society. Social workers recognise the impact of social, economic, and cultural factors on the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities. Social workers might not always sit within roles that are titled as “Social Workers”, and instead you might come across titles such as:
· clinical mental health social worker
· case manager
· family support worker
· drug and alcohol counsellor
· child and family counsellor
· rehabilitation worker
· crisis counsellor
What do Social Workers do?
Along with varied role titles, the skillsets and support that social workers provide is also broad. Within the scope of social work practice sits:
· Supporting clients to navigate through the complex service system
· Information about relevant services and safety planning options
· Referrals to other services
· Resourcing and support in accessing appropriate information and financial assistance
· Legal information and support to access legal services
· Access to longer term safe and affordable housing
· Systems navigation and coordination of services, especially during transitions of care or other significant life transitions
· Advocacy on behalf of, and in collaboration with, clients
· Education (e.g. understanding health and welfare systems, wellness promotion, parenting skills, management of acute or chronic conditions, job-search strategies) for individuals, families, and communities. These can include National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), Department of Housing, Hospital and Health Services, Schooling etc.
· Resource information and referral (e.g. financial, housing, legal, medical)
· Individual counselling
· Couples and family counselling
· Family-team conferences
· Ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the service plan
· Permanency, life span, and advance care planning
· Team and organisational service development, planning and collaboration
· Group interventions (i.e. psychotherapeutic groups, professionally facilitated psychoeducational groups, or peer-led support groups)
· Individual interventions, counselling and therapy
· Family caregiving support interventions
· Crisis intervention
· Disaster planning and preparedness
· Mediation and conflict resolution
· Policy and research development
With Grace Therapy employ experienced and accredited social workers that provide services within Brisbane, Moreton Bay and the Sunshine Coast. If you are seeking more information about how With Grace Therapy social workers may help you, please contact us.